Thursday, September 9, 2010

Eldritch: Layline 005


      Faith is taking things well, I think.
      Man guys, I’ve been looking forward to drawing Maggie in one of her karasutenguie  forms for ages! She sure isn’t pretty, but she is fun to draw. Hehee. You know, in early stages of her design (back when this was doodles on napkins and postit-notes), she had just a bird’s beak, without the teeth inside. However, that toothy grin of hers is just such a common expression for her, that with the beak, her expressions didn’t read as Maggie-like.
      So, funny little story. I kind of made the same mistake Faith made, once upon a time.
      When I was a little girl visiting my grandmother in Arizona, I had little to do during the midday heat and all the time in the world. So, I drew and daydreamed and invented. One year, I came up with a race of wingless gryphons, and thought they were just the bee’s knees. They were often just bird heads on lion bodies. I felt o-so-creative at the time, as little girls tend to feel.
     Then, a few years later, I learned about some of the various types of sphinxes… including the Heiracosphinx. Which looked just like my silly wingless gryphons. Something I thought was new was actually remarkably old. It taught me a little lesson about how important it is to learn as much as you can, as fast as you can. So, I devote a lot of time to reading and learning in my off-time. I daresay that if I had a little more money at my disposal, I would have ventured off to a college where I could have gotten a degree in folklore… which is only slightly less useful than a degree in art XD

No comments:

Post a Comment