Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Eldritch: Lessons 009


Oh god guys, you have no idea what a week it has been. *Laughs* I mean, no one died or anything, but a million little annoying things decided to take up a boatload of my time, the latest of which was chipping my car out of a foot of solid ice.  … Okay, maybe not a foot.  More like four inches.  Or… maybe more like a hefty crust.  But I couldn’t open my doors, okay?  And yet, by some miracle, the comic update is done.  I don’t get credit for this one folks.  Credit goes to the Comic Gods.  You know… the ones that sent the giant ice storm that meant my shift ended up being cut because the trucks couldn’t make it.  Um… yay?  The ice is pretty though! Maybe I’ll post a few photos. 

In regards to the comic… well, folks, sorry about the attack of the talking heads.  I tried to cram a liiittle too much into too small a space.  Aaaand I kind of cheated, and modded an old picture of my online persona until it looked like Faith for that last word-bubble.  Poor Faith… she’s just not any good at this werewolf business.  She’s instinctually retarded, her senses aren’t quite right yet, and she looks funny. …Sounds kind of like Highschool, now that I think about it.

Also… yay for werewolf snaggle-derp-fangs.  I figure, it’s better to have the pathogen as an injection rather than a saliva-borne virus like rabies.  You know, that way so werewolves aren’t dribbling liquid lycanthropy everywhere.  In mythology, I’ve yet to come across werewolves with notable snagglefangs while in wolf form, but there are accounts of long, pointy canines while in human form.  Oddly enough, it seems a more common trait to indicate a creature is a werewolf (Or witch in animal form) instead of a wolf is the lack of a tail… but darnit, I like tails.  For more info on such things, you may want to pick up Sabine Baring-Goulds’s Book of Werewolves. 

Speaking of folklore, on a non-werewolf note… remember, tomorrow’s Groundhog Day.  Funny thing though… the original version of the holiday used hedgehogs, not groundhogs.  However, when the holiday, a mixture of Christanity’s Candlemas and Pagan Imbolc traditions, came to America, there were no hedgehogs to use to divine the weather… so instead, groundhogs are the weather-divining animal in America.

Anyway, I’ve rambled long enough, so, to everyone else who has had to deal with death ice you have my sympathies… and I hope that you guys have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I completely predicted this. That's really about all I have to say about the comic today, other then it looks great considering the time you had.

    We now return you to todays rant. - Everybody has snow and ice and all those wonderful Winter things and I got rain! What have I done to deserve this? Where are you snow, where?! We now end this program due to the host going into hysterics.

    Ah, the fangs theory. I myself think that Lycanthropy isn't passed via saliva and/or some sort of venom-like virus. Why is that? Because how would you ever fight if you couldn't bite for fear of creating a grahll? There's the option of killing your enemy every time, but how realistic is that?

    I think it's a more blood transfer affair. If somebody escapes a werewolf encounter and made a few good hits in the process, they would have said werewolf's blood on them and/or on their weapon. Thus if they get blood in a wound they sustained, they would have Lycanthropy. Just my opinion.

    Well, can't wait for the next page and happy New Moon! (No not Twilight, bluuugh.)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    And I'm sorry you didn't get any snow at all... hopefully you got some in the time between the update and now.

    The way I see it, the purpose of such a mechanism evolving would be to indeed create more Grahll through violent contact... It’s a means of propagating the species while instigating the removal of predators at the same time, by turning human enemies into allies by common ground--lycanthropy.

    But that’s just my Grahll. The great thing about monsters these days is that everyone can have their own unique takes on them. They’re customizable and thus can fit every interest.

    ReplyDelete